Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pineapple Revisited








Perhaps Saturday’s blog got you thinking about pineapple. It did me. I thought I’d pass along what I know about pineapple and also my method for preparing it. I’m also going to attempt a little story board that should help with the process.

How to pick a ready to eat pineapple? There are a few clues. If you can easily pluck the center leaf out of the top you are on your way. Next clue? Look at the color. Unlike our immature fruit of Saturday, a ripe pineapple will smell sweet and have a yellow or golden color. It should yield slightly to pressure but not be overly soft.

Now the tricky part.... but take courage. Fresh pineapple is totally worth it. On a clean cutting board, preferably one dedicated to sweet things, slice off the top and then the bottom. Now you can stand the fruit upright and proceed to the skin. You can make as many top to bottom slices as you like. What you want to do is cut enough side off to avoid most ot the ‘eyes’. Don’t worry if you don’t get all the little eyes out, a small knife or pointed vegetable peeler can be used to follow-up and remove the rest. Now that the skin is off, slice it in half and then again to make four pieces. Now cut out the woody core. I make a ‘V’ cut down the length. Voila! Everything left is ready to eat. However you slice it now is up to you.

Sylvia is still home and this pineapple is almost a goner. I’m hoping that all the vitamin C that’s packed into this lovely fruit will speed her recovery and prevent me from catching that nasty cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment