Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Pineapple Grows in Brooklyn



Cathy had to shop at Fairway yesterday for chestnuts and other homework items. Fairway is a giant food emporium, not far from my house, in an area known as Red Hook. Pip and I decided to hitch a ride on an unexpectedly mild Saturday morning. The weather has been damp and chilly, but yesterday was simply damp. My canine buddy and I welcomed the warmth and opportunity to mooch around the nooks and crannies of what has one of Brooklyn's quirkiest neighborhoods.

Just past Steve’s Key Lime Pie factory there is what looks to be a community garden. Who knew? Winter seems just around the corner
( maybe this is pure panic on my part, because I’m not too crazy about winter), and there we were in a garden with tomatoes, chili peppers, basil, squash and ( this is the ‘who knew’ department) a pineapple! It was just a baby and given that pineapples are a tropical fruit, it may not make it to maturity in our climate. That said, I thought you’d like to see what a pineapple in it’s infancy looks like.

How about some historical information as well? There has to be an explanation for a fruit native to Brazil and Paraguay having such a European name. Sure enough! A quick visit to Wikipedia and enlightenment. The word ‘pineapple’ was recorded first in 1398 to describe the reproductive parts of conifer trees (aka pine cones) and was later used in 1664 by European explorers when they first saw this fruit and it resembled, well, a pine cone. Like I said... who knew?!

No comments:

Post a Comment