Thursday, October 29, 2009

Looking for Crystal





Generally, as you know, I shop at the Coop. I’m sure you’ve figured out that the Coop is a bastion of the organic and healthy, and although they do sell some convenience foods, like microwavable meals and soups, for the most part it’s pretty basic.

It is, however, a little out ot the way for me so today I shopped at our local supermarket. Sylvia is still home with a cold and I thought I’d get a cantaloupe (loads of vitamin C) and some chicken (chicken soup being the classic cure-all). Ah Ha! I thought. Time to do a little investigating. I can read the labels of things that Sylvia buys for herself and perhaps understand the allure. The Coop does not sell Crystal Light, a flavor powder that Sylvia is constantly putting in the water she drinks.

Crystal Light is sweetened with a product called Aspartame. I decided to ‘google’ it. Pretty astounding. There seems to be plenty of controversy surrounding this stuff (and Aspartame is only one of many unpronounceable ingredients - always a red flag in my book). There’s mention of cancer and seizures and all sorts of unhappy consequences. Some of it may be food zealotry, but rather then continue to waste time trying to justify the consumption of chemicals, I’ve convinced Sylvia to buy some lemons and limes to flavor her next glass of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment