Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Today’s No Cook Meal


If you have been following the blog, you will know that I have been away for a week, having left off with the entry about having coffee and cake with my mother in Wales. Truth be told, we did enjoy this ritual at Herbert Lewis, but just once. What I was really doing was moving my mother to a small retirement flat (the British word for apartment). I’m back and exhausted!

Who wants to cook? Not me, not today. Everyone has days like this (some more than others). I’ve been thinking about healthy no-cook things to eat. In this category, there’s nothing more basic than a slice of bread with some peanut butter (and if the spirit moves you adding something like honey or jam). Simple? Yes, very. That said, all peanut butters (and most things that come in a jar or can or box or package) are not created equal. Just for my own education I purchased a jar of Jiff today. As soon as I finish this bit of writing, I am going to throw it away. Why? Because here are the ingredients:

Roasted peanuts and sugar, 2 % or less of molasses, fully hydrogenated vegetable oils (rapeseed and soybean), mono and diglycerides, salt.

Sugar? Why here? Hydrogenated fats have been linked with the increased rise in coronary heart disease. I’m not interested in consuming those. As for the mono and diglycerides, simply put, they are fats used to make the peanut butter creamy. I can stir it, thank you very much!

I think I will stick to my Smuckers. With just peanuts and salt it’s healthier and tastes better. There’s nothing wrong with the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment