Monday, November 2, 2009

Making Nice or Mise en Place






I’ve been trying to analyze the reasons that a person might not want to use their kitchen. Of course, I’m thinking of Sylvia and her kitchen, but I suspect that many people have simply not moved in. What do I mean by that? Check out where you cook (or could cook!). Is there anything there that gives you pleasure to look at? Are there things that you don’t like and could change? Do you have a clean and clear place to work and your tools in places that are easy to get to? Just wondering.

Getting moved-in to your kitchen can be fun. Really. This past weekend I bought some new shelves. They are more substantial then the ones they replaced and every time I walk into the kitchen the new sense of organization makes me happy.

The French have a phrase for this. It’s ‘mise en place’, literally translated as ‘putting in place’. In a professional kitchen this means having everything ready for the recipe about to be prepared. For home cooks it means a clean and organized place that helps with the job of making a meal.

Move in! Make yourself happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment