Saturday, November 28, 2009

Creature of Habit


True confession time. When it comes to breakfast I am a total bore. There’s flexibility when it comes to the question of coffee or tea, but I never waver in my desire for Granola. It’s been a long time since I bought this stuff pre-made at the supermarket. Even the Coop disappoints. Sugary and expensive, there’s just no point. Especially when granola is a snap to make at home and very economical. If you follow the link, you will have a basic recipe for my (and what I hope might become your) morning ritual. Like almost all recipes, this one is easy to tailor to your own culinary eccentricities. Don’t like cinnamon? Skip it! You’ve run out of raisins? No sweat. There’s no such thing as the Granola Police, and this is all about you. Maybe there is something else in the cupboard that seems like a good idea.

I like to add freshly ground nutmeg along with anise seed and cardamom that I pummel in a mortar with a pestle. Sometimes I use chopped apricots and cranberries as part of the dried fruit. Maple syrup can be a stand in for honey. I may be a bore regarding granola in general, but every batch seems just a little different and that’s all to the good. A hearty bowl of this stuff and food is a non issue until lunch!

Ways to eat granola:

Traditional- in a bowl with milk
Super Hearty- over plain yogurt with some extra honey
Granola Deluxe- either of the above with fresh fruit
On The Road- running late or need a snack? Eat like trail mix

No comments:

Post a Comment