Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sprouts! An Unintended Outcome


Sometimes looking for one thing means you stumble upon another (don’t look for sugar snap peas before June). At the Farmer’s Market this morning, my unintended find was Sunflower Sprouts. “Ah Ha” (I said to myself…although if I had said this aloud, no one would have noticed in the bustle of the market) “ I am going to use these as a substitute for lettuce in this afternoon’s BLT” (as in bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich).

Nutty and full of body, I had a hunch that they would make a nice stand-in for the L part of the equation and even add a bit of crunch.

Sprouts are germinated plant seeds and although some sprouts are toxic (don’t go in your garden for random sprouty stuff), many (just like these) are nutritious and very good for you.

Buy sprouts as fresh as you can, eat them as soon as you can and until then, keep them refrigerated until you are ready to wash them thoroughly in cool water and enjoy.

PS The BLT was superlative. Farm raised bacon, whole wheat bread, hydroponic tomatoes (like sugar snaps, they are not in season just yet), sprouts and some lovely French mayonnaise.

2 comments:

  1. Paula,
    How timely! Just today I took my sprout condo with Mungs from the closet to the sunlight for that last little push toward a bit of green before consigning them to the fridge and food. Last week in Boston's Chinatown I had a soup so laced with sprouts that it was more floating garden than anything else. ( With a pommegranete (sp.) bubble-tea chaser.)

    I'm taking the liberty of linking to the sprouter and company I use for all my sprouting needs:
    http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprouting/sprout_garden.htm

    Next crop is Alfalfa again. My favorite is a thin layer of almond butter and as much Alfalfa as fits on the bread. It tastes like green crunch with an almond finish.

    I love your posts, and your pics. I'll post some pix of our soon-to-be studio/performance space/home soon and notify you. Would like to see some of your food on our walls.

    Cheers,
    Dex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dex! I love it when people comment and add to the mix. Links are great too. As for 'food on the walls', no food fights please!

    ReplyDelete