Sunday, April 11, 2010

Gowanus Botanical Garden Report: My Favorite Thing!





We have a joke in our house about Pip (my canine pal). She is very indiscriminate and always ready to show enthusiasm. Every bark translates as,‘My favorite thing!’.

Unlike Pip, I like to think that I am very discriminating. So, when I say that spring is ‘My favorite thing!’ I really really mean it.

Here is some of what's happening at the ‘Gowanus Botanical Garden’. Because my garden is a city garden and presents a few challenges, the edible bounty at the moment is limited to herbs and grapes. Oh… and strawberries.

The first illustration is a very young strawberry plant. The buds you see will turn into flowers whose centers will turn into strawberries. These are usually ripe for Sylvia and my father’s birthday party in late May, early June.

The next illustration is of a grapevine waking up. This little bud will extend itself and eventually transform into some lovely purple grapes. The birds take full advantage and usually get first pick!

Next we have young sage leaves. As the season progresses, they will be come longer and more plentiful. Burnt butter and freshly chopped sage will make for a very quick ravioli sauce.

And finally, oregano. The dried stuff in the cupboard will be neglected until winter begins. There’s nothing like stepping out into the garden to collect something fresh.

My favorite thing!

4 comments:

  1. To The Sage Of Strawberries,

    Is the Garden open to the public? Are there tours? Can you pick the fruit? Is there a cover? And a minimum? Do you hire tour guides? Hint. Hint. Do the tour guides get to wear cute hats? Has the Garden been designated a National Park?

    Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that everyone realizes the joke implied re 'The Gowanus Botanical Garden'. For those not in the know, I live near the Gowanus which is famous for scandle and pollution and has been recently added to the Super Fund list for a sorely needed make-over. All of which means there is no charge to visit my garden! Just let me know when you plan to arrive and I'll put the kettle on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As in 'Scandal'. What's 'scandalous' is my spelling! Just want everyone to know that Einstein was a rotten speller too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps a "cleaner" name would be appropriate?
    I offer the following suggestions:

    Paula's Place.

    The Hible House of Horticultural Happiness.

    The Hible Botanical Garden.

    ReplyDelete