Sunday, December 5, 2010

Burdock Root, My First Time


Well, why not? You only live once! As I once confessed to all of you, my two vices are shoes and cookbooks. These days, I’m favoring the later. Cheaper, and always a comfort, the latest impulse buy (the Coop knows what’s it’s doing… cookbooks are right where everyone waits in line) was The Flexitarian Table, by Peter Berley. Perfect! Entertaining these days is a challenge on many fronts. One friend can’t tolerate dairy, another doesn’t eat meat or poultry and my pocketbook prefers more vegetables than anything. Flexitarian sounds like ‘one size fits all’.

Peter Berely’s definition:

Flex·i·tar·i·an (n) 1. A person who is mainly a vegetarian but who occasionally eats fish or meat. 2. Someone who is not a vegetarian but enjoys meatless meals.

So, where were we? Burdock! (almost forgot) This root is destined for an ‘Autumn Stew’ and will keep company with some winter squash, mushrooms, ginger, carrots and celery. AND, because I always do as I am told (as in on page 256), I looked for a root that was firm and no more than 1 inch at the thickest part. I’m going to scrub the dickens (not a direct quote) out of this root (which, by the way, is full of antioxidants) with a stiff brush in a basin of cold water. Apparently our burdock root is a member of the daisy family, which is something to think about when it’s freezing outside and definitely not sandal weather!

6 comments:

  1. What does it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay tuned for the next exciting episode! (in other words, I'm interested to know myself and will keep you posted!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother and sister-in-law have burdock all the time, so I'm really interested in the stew. Burdock can be a bit bitter, but the other ingredients sound like they should compensate. Let inquiring minds know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The burdock wasn't bitter at all! In fact it was kind of earthy-sweet. Did you know that the burdock plant above ground was the inspiration for Velcro?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the UK it's used to make a drink. It's brill. Take a look here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_and_burdock

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kitchen Guy! I'm about to visit 'across the pond' and will try to sample some burdock fare. Nice feeling... this international stuff!

    ReplyDelete