Saturday, November 27, 2010

Pumpkin Pie and The Importance of Being Earnest


Couldn’t help but consider this title as I struggled with my Pâte Briseé (aka pie crust). I knew from all the warnings (must have pea sized lumps…. don’t over work it…) that the first attempt was not stellar. So… another recipe, this time not my sister’s (that left out salient information such as how much salt or sugar), but Julia’s. As usual, her concise instructions and the accompanying photo illustrations in The Way To Cook, got me through the second batch of pie shells. These were keepers.

Ok, pie shells sorted it was on to a recipe for my Long-Island-Cheese-Pumpkin-Aren’t-I-Special-Puree. This stuff was very very moist and I should have known better. Having decided to go with the flow and follow Julia’s recipe for a ‘fluffy soufflé’ filling (first mistake) and (to my dubious credit) cutting back on the milk, even I smelled danger and baked it longer than required….ICK! Total flop. Here I was, photo of modest pies ready on the digital card, prepared to write a clever blog about how the dough was acceptable but the filling totally fine. Conceit knowing no bounds, I even imagined how my earnest attempt at doing everything from scratch wouldn’t be perfect, but would reap the rewards of real effort. WRONG! Arg! Ouch! Another pang of regret that Cathy (my pastry chef sibling) wasn’t here to watch my (stooped in front of the oven) back.

So, the ‘earnest’ part of Thanksgiving? Turns out it wasn’t all about me and my earnest pie. As a perfect illustration of the obvious, it was about gathering with neighbors and friends, all of us enjoying everything no matter what. My hosts were discretion itself and I hope that they have disposed of any leftover pie without qualms. Next time I’ll practice before traveling next door via the Road of Good Intentions!

I hope that all of you survived Thanksgiving unscathed, with culinary egos intact!

4 comments:

  1. And that's why even I was surprised when my mother told me that she always baked with canned pumpkin because pureeing her own pumpkin always resulted in stuff that was too watery. So now I happily only use canned pumpkin (without spice), and can do it guilt-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beginning to sound like a challenge! That said, it doesn't do to foist experiments on unsuspecting friends. If I haven’t had time to practice, the next traveling pie will be made from some canned stuff! OUCH~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, and I especially love the revised plan for the blog in your "About Me." Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. You are a delight to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ronna, I haven't checked your spot for a while either, apologies... This season is madness! Best wishes to you and your family for the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete