Friday, July 30, 2010

Whisk-y Business


FYI, this is a whisk (well, two of them and a bowl. The later of which is usually employed at the same time).

If this blog is truly dedicated to the basics, then this is something you should know about. On top of the list of essential kitchen tools, the whisk keeps company with a good knife and a spoon. Craig Claiborne, (who is famous for educating Americans in all things kitchen) touts a medium wire whisk second only to a cast iron pan when he writes of “The Most Basic Equipment for a Small BASIC Kitchen”.

New Kitchen Primer was inspired by Craig Claiborne’s Kitchen Primer, which is a small volume that was originally published in 1996 by Portland House. I got my copy used via EBay, and it’s really brand new (didn’t cost much either). If you can get your hands on this compact volume, I highly recommend it. Trends in cooking change as much as hemlines (or if that analogy doesn’t work for you ….as much as cell phone technology), so his recipes may seem a little heavy in the cream and butter department. That said, the list of kitchen essentials and the advice on use of equipment is great. Nice little illustrations too.

But back to whisks. I’ll risk being a bore and remind you, once again, to buy the best you can afford at a proper kitchen supply. A cheap whisk doesn’t work very well and will not last. A quality whisk will last forever and will always be a pleasure to use. Just think about how amazing you will feel as you use your beautiful new kitchen tool to ‘whisk up’ a lovely salad dressing or some eggs or even some whipped cream… and that’s just the beginning.

Also FYI, when you are ‘whisking something up’, do yourself a favor and use a much larger bowl or vessel than you think you need. This will equate to more freedom of movement (sometimes you really want to get some momentum going) and most certainly less mess.

You're ready for wisk-y business!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Fletcher. I'm regretting that I didn't call this one 'Wisk-y Business'! You know what? I'm boss! Think I'll make the change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you play a whisk? I mean: My embouchure is uncomfortable when I put it in my mouth and strumming it is not very mellifluous. Wait: that's it: percussively- of course! Thanks chef.

    ReplyDelete