Friday, July 9, 2010

Raspberries and Entanglement


So get this! Raspberries inspired Velcro! Now there’s a ‘learn something new everyday’ moment! I wanted to encourage you to eat more berries and felt that I might get boring and end up doing a repeat of the last entry. You know, the one that heralded the virtues of blueberries.

Actually, raspberries are way more fragile than blueberries. Again, look for firm (and in this case glossy) fruit that is loosely packed (to discourage mold, which you should be on the look-out for) and eat ASAP!!!! (That’s As Soon As Possible) These guys are very tender. Cathy (the pastry chef sister) tells me that if you eat them little cell by little cell, you will experience small bursts of flavor on your happy tongue.

Cherie contradicts me by saying that thistles, not raspberries, inspired Velcro!

Controversy is always energizing. Harold McGee writes that Caneberries (the berry family that Raspberries belong to) are composite fruits, meaning that they consist of many many small entities that are held together by an ‘entanglement’ (now there’s a word that you might have fun with) of hairs…. hence the Velcro inspiration.

But you know what? Thistles or Raspberries being the source of inspiration or not, these amazinging beautiful and flavorful berries are worth eating. They are good for you (one of the biggest deliverers of anti-oxidants) and a delight to eat. AND they are currently in season. We had them last night with vanilla ice cream. Dessert couldn’t have been simpler or better!

5 comments:

  1. Raspberry Pancakes are the best - I dare say better than blueberry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark and I were always frustrated at how fast they get mold - we learned that if you soak them in a weak water/vinegar mixture for a few mins.when you get them home, rinse, then dry on a paper towel before storing them in the fridge. they last a really long time without mold. Lots of work, but if you eat just a handful on cereal in the morning it makes them last all week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such restraint!!! Such daring!

    Also, Cherie now tells me that she meant 'burrs' not 'thistles'! Every thing comes from nature at the end of the day, so I think we'll survive this Velco controversy.

    Thanks to everyone for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Paula,

    I am a burr-as-inspiration-for-velcro girl, myself because I saw a thing on TV about it years ago...but, who cares!
    Raspberries are a gift from above and I savor the brief but oh-so-heavenly season! I hope you are well. Been a long time since we talked. Hope life is good in Brooklyn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say? Life is HOT in Brooklyn! I like the 'burr as inspiration' idea... more food for thought!

    ReplyDelete