Sunday, June 13, 2010

String Theory: Garlic Scapes


This picture of Garlic Scapes got me thinking of String Theory and maybe I’m not so far off. Information was thin enough to be zero dimensional.

The usual sources, McGee, Wiki, Larousse then the Visual Lover’s Guide, Bittman, Madison (you get the idea), were void of any in-depth information regarding these elegant strands.

Scapes are a very very seasonal occasion. Friday, after visiting a friend from upstate for another seasonal occasion (it was Andrea’s birthday), I returned with a monster bag of scapes. Now what? In the spirit of full disclosure, I had been in possession of a bag of these before. A foray for the photogenic at the farmer’s market (say that 10 times) had me returning to the studio with this strange acquaintance. The portrait was taken and then in my ignorance I dumped them all like a bad date. This time, Andrea had entrusted me with a huge sack of lovingly harvested largess and it felt callous to do the same again.

At the party, these had been braised with kale and were delicious. The possibility of turning them into a pesto was also suggested. I don’t always do what I am told, but this bag of green ‘string’ was suddenly feeling like a relationship worth pursuing. Time to step up to the plate and be a responsible adult. Where McGee and Larousse left me hanging, Epicurious came to the rescue. Here’s a simple recipe using the pesto idea for Spaghetti with Ramps that was delicious. The addition of some shrimp made my relationship with these mild garlicky/onion flavored greens almost grounds for a commitment.

I’m glad you had a birthday Andrea. The party bag was unforgettable.

3 comments:

  1. Funny. These are our Iron Chef project food for the week. http://reportsfrommiddleearth.blogspot.com/2010/06/garlic-scapes.html?spref=fb

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some cilantro pesto today with my treasures from Andrea's famous upstate garden. Tomorrow I tackle my monster pile of ramps! Thanks for the ideas. I'll let you know how things turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramps? Scapes? Thanks Casey! I finally found a picture of these on Wiki! Here it is! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scape_(botany)

    ReplyDelete