Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Finer Company


It occurred to me, after writing the quinoa entry, that you may not know what a fine mesh strainer or sieve is. Well here it is. Now you know. Behind is our friend, the colander, who made an appearance back in ‘Strained Relationships’.

Because quinoa has to be washed, and would have slipped through the holes in an ordinary colander (which is usually the first thing to grab when you need to rinse out fruit or vegetables), this is a necessary kitchen tool. A strainer is also good for rinsing rice, straining liquids and often proves to be a very handy thing indeed. I have some smaller ones that get used for skimming broth or fishing bits out of -well, stuff.

Rinsing the quinoa in this strainer, I barely had room to swish it around. Next time I have some fun money, I think I’m going to buy an even bigger one.

Rule of thumb is, buy the best you can afford from a place that sells lots of cooking supplies (you will avoid cheap supermarket stuff this way). Not only will you have the pleasure of working with a quality piece of kitchen equipment, it will last you a long time and ultimately will not be a waste of money. You’ll be in ‘finer company’!

4 comments:

  1. Erin just introduced me to Quinoa. She feeds it to her little lovebird because it is a perfect food - so many nutrients and just his size. Great information - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rule of thumb is spot on! You can have some fun buying from antique shops as well, although it would depend on your style of kitchen as to whether this type of equipment would be suitable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kitchenguy, Great moniker! Are you a kitchen super-hero? Apron for a cape? Thanks for the comment and being so agreeable! Best, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Paula it's me again. It only took me 8 months to reply but thats good for me. No not a super-hero more of a soup-er-hero (sorry) :) As for the apron, I can't wear one unless my wife ties the bow at the back for me - big, chunky, unco-ordinated fists. See you again around August. :)

    ReplyDelete