Monday, January 18, 2010

Seize the Day... and the Dessert


What to say? This dessert is now just a memory (and obviously its descent into the memorable had started before I even thought to take this picture… sometimes a photographer just wants to eat!).

These are the last bites of homemade pastry ala Chef Cathy (my sister if you haven’t read earlier blog entries). This photo taken just before a rushed flight to Wales. My soon-to-be-ninety-years-old mother had a heart attack last week and Cathy rushed out of Brooklyn to be with her. It was always Cathy’s intention to leave New York after finishing her pastry course, but this was very sudden and unexpected.

As I relished this beautiful apple tart, I suddenly choked, not on the pastry, but on the knowledge that sometimes everything feels as fleeting as a lovely dessert.

Perhaps that’s what fascinates me about food. The things we eat are solid and real and necessary, but in the end, always become just a moment. This particular moment was shared with Cathy and a friend. Once I came up for air long enough to fully realize that my private pastry chef was leaving, I stopped to savor. The apple thing was particularly delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment