Saturday, October 29, 2011

Fame and Fortune

 
When I started this blog, the idea of doing something so public was (and remains) very exciting.  My ambition knew no bounds…. Not only was I going to help Sylvia and others with kitchen challenges, I was going to be the ‘New Millennium Julia for New Cooks’.  In my fantasy I was not only helping people towards a healthy relationship with food, I was on my way to fame and fun!  I’d go to cooking school!  Manufacturers of fantastic kitchen tools would vie for a mention on New Kitchen Primer.  Then there would be the public speaking dates.  Quit the day job!  Have handlers!  Someone to manage my appointment book!  Oh hell…. Let’s throw in a new wardrobe and makeover too!

In a funny sort of way, some of that stuff did happen.  Alas not the wardrobe and makeover, but that’s so superficial.  This has been an experience with substance.  There have been many ‘hits’ for a blog that was sparsely promoted and, at the end of the day, I have fully enjoyed myself.   I knew that I loved food and photography, but I also discovered that I love to write!  Who knew?!  

So this is it (for now at least).  The blog as it stands will remain accessible (apparently nothing dies in the blog-o-sphere) and I will do my best to finish the index so that if any of you out there want to return for a recipe, ingredient or method tip, whatever you need will be a little easier to find.  No new entries on this one.  If I find myself pining for a public fantasy life, I’ll simply start up again.

Ultimately it was my readers that really made this labor-of-love a not only a pleasure but a very important part of the last three years.

Thanks to all of you and Bon Appétit!

PS  Thanks to Ken Lax for the kitchen portrait

4 comments:

  1. Every entry was fun to read, Paula. And I even made a few things - like your winter lemon tea! I still think the original idea has a lot of merit, and an audience. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patti, Maybe I will pick up the 'virtual pen' again in the future when I can really apply myself and construct a blog with more substance. That said, I've really enjoyed doing this. Thanks also for being a regular attendee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it's just time for you to move on. I will always check here when I make black bean soup, your recipe + using the immersion blender greatly improved that dish for me.

    Now you will have time to write your memoir, or a novel or something.

    How about an 11th St. gossip column?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jerry,

    Your tomatoes were amongst the glitterati of this past year. Think it's safer to stick with veg and skip the gossip (as juicy as it may be)!

    Best from across the street, Paula

    ReplyDelete