Friday, July 22, 2011

Confessions with a Sugar Snap

 
So many blogs are confessional by nature, something I've done my best to avoid (with varying degrees of success).  Today, however, I'm going to brazenly confess that I have been goofing off most of the week upstate in farming country.  I had intended to do some food reportage and by doing so, keep myself amongst the useful and hard working.  Well, a bit of sun, a welcoming pool and no agenda was all that was needed to corrupt any plans of substance or right thinking.

My gracious hostess pal, Kristen, furthered this 'devil may care', 'fun in the sun', 'no worries' experience with her straightforward seasonal cooking.  I have to say; I am SO over culinary calisthenics.  Give me a simple, surprising dish and I am happy as a (on vacation) clam.  Are you ready?  It doesn't get any simpler than this (well it does if we are talking naked veg which is also very nice, but lacking in the surprising department).  Here we go:

  • Acquire some sugar snap peas (the link takes you to last year's introduction)
  • Wash them
  • Trim them (or not)
  • Toss them
  • Eat them
Hey!  Wait a minute... aren't you missing something (other than the sun block)?

Toss with:
  • your best olive oil (just a drizzle)
  • a generous pinch of your best (and coarsest) salt
  • some sesame seeds
That's it.  You can go back to the pool, forget the agenda, relax and enjoy!  Thanks Kristen... sugar snap peas prepared this way will always make me feel on holiday, pool or not!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. Culinary calisthenics. I thought I'd try that. I took two watermelons, one in each hand, and lifted them over my head. Uh, Oh! Splat! Perhaps that is not what you meant. Sigh. Back to the health club.

    ReplyDelete